durham update


Though I blurbed about this on Twitter and Facebook, I think I need to clarify some things, and it's easier to do it in one fell swoop than explaining it to everyone individually.  Yes, I was accepted into Durham.  Here are the "conditional" statements that go along with that; the "asterisks" on the deal, as it were:

I did not apply for the PhD program, so I am not going straight into the PhD program.  The way the British system works, it would almost have been more of an advantage applying to the PhD program from a first-class honors undergraduate degree than applying with a US Master's degree.  Since I am essentially crossing fields, an MA in Biblical Studies from the US isn't quite enough to make it into a PhD program in the UK in Historical Theology, though they can see from the coursework that I've done plenty already.  In addition, UK degrees are heavy on the research side, something which is not emphasized much in the US unless you're doing an MA with a thesis component.  Unfortunately, the way Asbury's MAs are structured, doing a thesis has become nigh an impossibility, unless you don't mind taking 4 years to complete a 60-credit degree (which I obviously do).  So, having talked extensively with Durham people (including the professors I'd like to work under), I decided that it was more in my favor to apply to a one-year research MA with plans on sticking around for the PhD.

This has a number of things in my advantage.  First, the transition from an all-coursework degree to an all-research degree will be smoother because I'll have an in-between step.  I will be able to get experience doing serious research, not having to start my major thesis from scratch at the PhD level.  Second, though funding is tough for the MA, doing the MA at Durham will set me up better for PhD funding.  I have been impressed that at almost every step in this process, Durham has been interested in knowing whether I want to proceed to the PhD or not.  They do give priority to their own.

Coursework vs. research is an obvious hinge-point for a lot a people.  I will have been in what is essentially religious/theological/historical instruction for 6 and a half years when I graduate this summer.  I am pretty tired of sitting in a classroom.  Now, granted, this isn't because I think I'm good to go and have learned everything I can learn.  It's more that I have a good understanding of what I want to research and write on, and everything else at this point is supplemental - but has been required.  The UK system realizes this and caters to people like me who are ready to make research their primary focus, and classwork a secondary supplement.  So while I might be taking a class here or there at Durham, none of it would be required.  The second main benefit of this is that I'll be done way sooner.  Even taking a one-year MA before the PhD will have me completely done in four years of full-time research, which is break-neck speed for a US PhD.  In addition to this, one must realize that from my MA in Biblical Studies I am not in a good position to get straight into a Historical Theology PhD here in the US, especially since it would mostly involve taking the GREs, which also affects funding.

So, all this to say, though it might be rough-and-tumble, and I wouldn't see much of Cherith for a few years because of all the work, in the end it would [hopefully] see me with a PhD at 29/30, which means we could start a family without having to worry tremendously about balancing school and baby stuff.  Granted, though, anything could happen (God is certainly able and welcome to change what needs changing).  Further, barring the unknown event that I could get full funding for a PhD here in the States, it could even be cheaper.

Finally, here is the biggy that needs to be understood clearly by all: being admitted is only the first step.  The second step is funding.  Funding is huge, because we are broke.  If I get no funding, we are not going anywhere.  We'll stay in the States, work and save, and I'll apply to different programs next year.  However, if the funding looks favorable, and we wouldn't need to take out many loans, we will go.  I am thankful that the Lord allowed us to experience a move to and from Australia before this time in our lives, because we know what's involved in an overseas move now.  Those are other costs to be considered.  Yet we also have faith that the Lord will provide as he sees fit, so I am not too bothered by the money situation yet.  However, if you feel so compelled to lend us a hand when/if the time came, don't hesitate :-).  Like I said, having no money but having faith still results (at the present) in having no money.

So keep us in your prayers, and if God talks back, listen to him and let us know what he says.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Congrats my friend! I hope the funding comes through for you two to go. Just remember in all your training: Augustine and Origen = bad....

Ok, not really Augustine or all of Origen, but I couldn't resist.

- Ben

Unknown said...

Congrats brother! I will be praying.
~kliner